Sign In

  Student Visas & Residence Permits

​​​​​​​Do I need a residence permit?

In general, all students from countries outside the TURKEY need to have a residence permit to study in Turkey if they are planning on staying for more than three months. 

International students will need to check carefully whether they need a visa to enter the Turkey. A Visa is a document necessary for entering the country and must be applied for prior to departure. It is a sticker in your passport issued by a Turkish Embassy or Consulate. 

Check here for more information - Visa Information For Foreigners

A visa is not the same as a residence permit. A residence permit is a document necessary for staying in the country and should be applied for after arrival.

Applying for a visa in your country

When you are accepted to IAU you will receive an acceptance letter with which you can apply for a Visa in your Country. Please keep in mind that visa application procedures take a long time and plan your application accordingly. After you receive your visa in your country plan your travel accordingly for your enrollment to IAU. 

Applying for a residence permit in Turkey

All international students, regardless of their status, must register and obtain a Residence Permit (Ikamet Tezkeresi) from the Istanbul Provincial Immigration Administration Office within 10 days of entering Turkey. 
You can be required at any time to show your Residence Permit.

Enrolled students apply online at the Ministry Of Interior Directorate General Of Migration Management website. After you have applied, you will also need to collect required documents and make a tax payment. 

Applications for residence permits are processed by the Ministry Of Interior Directorate General Of Migration Management, NOT the University. The residence permit application is your responsibility.

I have been granted a student residence permit for only one year. But my degree studies in Turkey last for more than just one year!

Ministry Of Interior Directorate General Of Migration Management usually grants residence permits for the duration of education. If you receive less than your education period than you must apply to extend the permit for the next year of study.

Residence permits - please note
  • ** If you are accepted to studies in IAU lasting more than three months, you should apply for a residence permit for studies - not a visa!
  • ** You must have your residence permit after you complete your enrollment to IAU.
  • ** You will need a passport to obtain a residence permit. Check that y our passport does not expire during the duration of your studies.
  • ** Ministry Of Interior Directorate General Of Migration Management requires that you show that you have health insurance when applying for the residence permit.
  • ** The ONLY way to make an application is ONLINE at the Ministry Of Interior Directorate General Of Migration Management website, but please ensure you have all documents ready so you can make a complete and full application.
  • ** With a residence permit for studies you are NOT allowed to work!. You can only work with a WORK PERMIT.
  • ** Don't leave it to the last minute! Make your residence permit application online as soon as you have completed your enrollment. 
Residence Permit Manual for International Students
ikamet.Kitapcik.JPGDear Students, If you are planning to apply for the residence permit and need assistance, you can check our manual. We have explained step by step application process.  It's easy you just need to follow step as it is explained in the manual.   

güncelleme: 25.1.2018 10:16