Istanbul Aydın University aims to share the scientific knowledge with the masses by compiling, backing up, storing scientific studies (article, book/book chapters, dissertation, project, report, conference papers/presentations, technical documents, data sets, posters, video records, etc.) produced by academic, administrative staff and students, in particular by providing access and establishing an academic archive system in accordance with international open access standards.
The purposes targeted in this direction are:
- To provide greater masses with opportunity to achieve free, easy and fast access to the information produced by our university,
- To compile academic studies produced in institutional dimension in accordance with open access standards and to pass them on to future generations with the understanding of storage and protection,
- To ensure that the scientific studies produced in our university are used more widely and are more cited.
- To provide easy access to the publications produced in our university through the open archive system and increase the impact factors of the publications,
- To ensure that the scientific studies carried out at our university are known internationally and to increase the recognition and respectability of our university,
- To facilitate the research results to form the basis for another research and to prevent the repetition of the research.
This policy document has been prepared on the basis of the articles 4/c, 12/c and 42/d of the Higher Education Law numbered 2547.
Istanbul Aydın University Open Access System covers all academic studies carried out by the members of our university and directly or indirectly supported by Istanbul Aydın University.
The content of Istanbul Aydın University Open Archive System consists of the following materials:
- Articles published in scientific journals
- Articles in publication
- Master's and Doctorate theses
- Conference Papers
- Seminar texts
- Technical notes
- Project studies
- Chapters in books
- Award winning studies
- Patent Specifications
- Open Course Materials
The definitions of the terms mentioned in this policy are as follows:
1)Open Access: Researchers can access the full texts of scientific publications free of charge on the public internet without financial, legal and technical barriers,
2) Academic Archive: Central collation of archived publications in corporate academic archives and making them accessible,
3) Embargo: Keeping the research results closed for access for a certain period (6-12 months),
4) Archiving: The process of storing the academic studies produced by the members of Istanbul Aydın University in Istanbul Aydın University Institutional Academic Archive system,
5)Member of Istanbul Aydın University: Academicians, personnel, master's degree and doctorate students of Istanbul Aydın University,
6) Advisory Board: Istanbul Aydın University Institutional Academic Archive Advisory Board including Rector or Vice Rector appointed by the Rector as the head, and the Head of the University Library and the Head of Department of Information Technologies,
7) Urgent Archiving: The process of archiving the academic studies under the supervision of the referees in the Istanbul Aydın University Institutional Academic Archive System and opening them to access,
8) Institutional Academic Archive: Systems in which academic studies produced in Higher Education Institutions are archived and made available for open access.
- Article approved for publication in an academic journal through peer review (not to violate the terms of agreements with publishers) must be transferred to the Institutional Archıve by the member of Istanbul Aydın University.
- Each Istanbul Aydın University member approves the storage of the latest version of all academic work for which s/he is an intellectual contributor in Istanbul Aydın University Open Archive System, unless they were limited or completely blocked by embargo or similar conditions.
- Istanbul Aydın University graduate and doctorate students are responsible for transferring their thesis to the Institutional Academic Archives within one month at the latest. However, the studies to be applied for patent applications shall be transferred to the archive on the same date as the patent publication after the application is realized.
- Whether the material placed in the Institutional Archive is open to full access or not, to make the material put into the Institutional Archive accessible only within the institution, publication of material placed in the Institutional Archive after a certain period of time, can be decided by the writers.
- Metadata of copyrighted research will be archived as soon as it becomes available and this metadata will be Open Access from the time of archiving.
- Istanbul Aydın University Library and Documentation Department will work in coordination with university members to compile publications and include them in the Istanbul Aydın University Institutional Academic Archive System in accordance with standards.
- Istanbul Aydın University Information Technology Department coordinates the processes of setting up, updating, backing up, preserving, and providing access to the Institutional Academic Archive System and transferring data in open access standards to the Higher Education Open Archive System.
- Members of Istanbul Aydın University can store their works in collaboration with multiple authors from more than one institution in the Istanbul Aydın University Institutional Academic Archive System.
- The responsibility of storing the resource belongs to the author in multi-author studies conducted by more than one member of Istanbul Aydın University.
- Scientific studies taken into consideration during assignments, promotions and other in-house evaluations are archived in the Institutional Academic Archive System.
Every member of Istanbul Aydın University gives permission to store its works in the Istanbul Aydın University Institutional Academic Archive System with a non-monopolistic, irrevocable and valid license agreement which is valid all over the world in a way that does not violate the terms of the agreements with the publishers within the framework of the legal conditions.
- This policy is followed by the Rector or a Vice Rector to be appointed.
- The Rectorate of Istanbul Aydın University is responsible for the implementation of this policy. The Rector of the University will assume the role of executive in the resolution of any disputes that may arise.
- The Rectorate of Istanbul Aydın University leads the establishment of the Advisory Board of the Institutional Academic Archive within the Institution and undertakes the executive duty of this board.
- The Advisory Board includes the Rector or Vice-Rector as the head of the board, then Academic Unit Representatives, the head of the Information Technologies and the head of Library and Documentation.
- The Advisory Board is responsible for the evaluation of this policy every year within the first three years following the entry into force of the Open Access and Corporate Academic Archives policy and every three years after the end of these three years. The Board is responsible for revising or changing the policy if deemed necessary.
- Suggestions and opinions will be submitted to the Rectorate of Istanbul Aydın University.